Hi Gabel,
You make some good points and these are not lost on me. I have attended many Guild Conferences and have even run a pre conference workshop, have hosted Guild member trips to England, and so I think that I am very much "with the program". I remain deeply indebted to many individual Guild members and executives who have gone out of their way to help me and it is my earnest hope and endeavour to be able to return those kindnesses in kind.
Most of what you have outlined above is well known and well established practice but I think that what both Don and me might be suggesting is to take this further and put a few more jig saw pieces in place that will ensure greater inclusivity especially for those persons who are remote from events who would incurr heavy expenditure in order to physically attend events. We are now in an economic downturn the likes of which has not been seen since the 30's and it behoves each and every one of us to try and get through this as best we can. Many people are now operating on very tight budgets so additional expenditures like attending Guild conferences are bound to be high on the list to get scratched. What alternative back up plan is being prepared by the Guild to be pursued if membership numbers continue to decline and maybe even more than is currently demonstrated (see Whit's note).
I no longer believe that it's "either or" but more "both".
Undoubtedly one of the reasons why the Guild executives have recently posted these new forums is I am sure to canvass opinions from all i.e members, past members and potential future members in an attampt to swell Guild numbers further and hence increase the Guild's revenues. The Guild needs to understand the rationale of all of us - even the "lost souls" in order to be able to address their needs and wants.
Its time to think real hard.
Regards
Ken Hume