Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
TIMBEAL #17823 01/26/09 09:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 570
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 570
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Don, are you attending this years TTRAG in York, ME, April 17-19?

Tim


Hey Tim... Yes, I'll be there. I'm lucky in that it's pretty convenient for me. York is just shy of a couple hours drive.

How about you?


Don Perkins
Member, TFG


to know the trees...


OurBarns1 #17824 01/26/09 10:23 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 570
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 570

I looks like the moderators (Joel) and execs are getting what they asked for on this thread: "I look forward to a lively dialogue. To paraphrase John Coltrane, we will change or die. Not necessarily in terms of size, but absolutely in terms of mission. Help us think about this."


Gabel, you make some good points as a seasoned TFG member. And phoning-up a member of TTRAG is a great idea. I hadn't thought to look at the directory. But let me tell you the experience from the point of view of a recent guest...

From my perspective, I have been a bit disapointed by the forum in that there are just enough pearls of wisdom to whet the appetite, but not nearly enough of what's likely to be possible here--for the benefit of all.

One of our forum categories is "Barns and Traditional Timberframing"... below the title it reads: Traditional Timberframe Research and Advisory Group. But it is not at all attended by said group (TTRAG). Why?

I realize this forum is free, but it could be guilty of false advertizing. Jim Derby (Housewright) is the only TTRAGer I've conversed with. And the moderator of said forum, Rudy Christian, a TTRAGer, is absent from the forum that bears his name. In fact, when I was at my whits end, trying to get some real info on the "No Long Top Plates" thread, I sent Mr. Christian a private message... he has yet to even answer.

My point is, lead, follow, or get out of the way. Don't ignore others who are interested in what you are supposedly offering. "Get with the program" seems entirely appropriate.


I think TTRAG should have a paid forum here...those interested would have to pay to use it. The fee would keep the attendance to only serious players, not the peanut gallery. As we all know, online forums have become a sea of Toms, Dicks, and Harrys bored w/ their waking hours.

I don't expect to chat up Jack Sobon, Abbott Lowell Cummings, or Jan Lewandoski for free.

And, yes, I hope anyone could become a member of TTRAG if they put in a worthy effort. I want to join, but not if it's a once-a year-meeting kind of investment.

Let's take it to the next level.



Don Perkins
Member, TFG


to know the trees...


OurBarns1 #17827 01/27/09 12:05 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
J
Member
Member
J Online: Confused
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
Don:
I'm glad your going to TTRAG you'll really love it.
Don't ever expect Jack Sobon to be online here, he won't he doesn't do Internet or email...(at least the last time I spoke to him he didn't).

Jan had open heart surgery a while back and wasn't at the eastern conference. I haven't heard how he's doing, hopefully slowly recovering....

It is true that some of the "moderators" of these forums aren't available but some are.

There should be a discussion about that sometime.....

It really all comes down to time. Some people take the time to respond here and some never ever show up....

People are busy and don't have time to even look at their emails....

Jim Rogers


Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Jim Rogers #17836 01/27/09 08:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 965
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 965
Hi Jim et al,

At the top of this page is a "user list" tab. Click on this and then click on "total posts" (twice) and you will see the user names and number of posts made in descending order. Regardless of who is paying for this site these are the people who are really making use (or abuse) of this forum. There is only one Guild officer who seems to contribute head and shoulders above all of the rest.

I wish that I could afford to attend the TTRAG eastern conference but I'm afraid that this is just not realistic right now. This is a great shame because I think that I have so much to offer. We have already explored on these pages how links between old and new countries exist but we are not really quite sure of the exact mechanisms that were at play. This forum offers the opportunity for information sharing to advance that cause provided aspects of technology, security and cost can be addressed.

I have made the pilgrimage to meet Jack at his home and woodlot in Western Mass and found him to be a very kind, enthusiastic and knowledgeable person who remained focussed on me at all times during my visit. I came away a much better person because of that visit but recognise that this visit was intrusive in that it used up a lot of his time and also invasive in that he opened his home to me. I am sure that Jack saw this visit differently from me and might well have described it more as making an accomodation and providing some hospitality. This forum offers the opportunity for regular users to make posts in their own time and of their own making. It can never be a substitute for a "meeting with Jack" but I can do this first thing in the morning before the days serious events begin and I certainly place great store in the on line camaraderie available to me on this forum. It is a very valuable resource.

I don't think that is correct for us to make excuses for the infrequent use by others of this forum. There is no requirement for users to visit these pages on a regular basis but those who don't miss out on the chance to follow and actively participate in the threads. That is their choice and this must be respected by us.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 01/27/09 08:40 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.182s Queries: 23 (0.159s) Memory: 3.0044 MB (Peak: 3.5624 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 08:44:59 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS