That other posting got my wheels turning as well Mo. I was thinking the same thing: why not just flatten/square things at the joint locations?

When you say build a frame, you're talking about a TF house/barn right?

I suppose corner posts as well as exterior frame members would also need flattening across any sheathing surfaces, Like Tim pointed to with the old joists and rafters.

So why did the old timers hew all faces of a timber (and create all that extra work?)

Will T. must be able to give us an educated guess. I'm guessing it may have something to do w/ referencing and being able to square/ plumb things... You'd have to at least snap a line down the timber for a reference, right? Maybe that's why just rafters and joists were left semi-round, but wall members and sills/plates were hewn square.

The perimeter of a frame needs "referenceability" square/flat surfaces. Maybe that's why crucks have square members on their exteriors, so everything will come out straight?

hmmmnn...

Last edited by OurBarns1; 06/11/09 02:17 PM. Reason: crucks

Don Perkins
Member, TFG


to know the trees...