Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
mo #18314 02/20/09 11:05 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Good old utube, I will have to spend an evening or two there.

Notice the fellow in the short pants, I wonder If he has any burn marks.

Tim

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
Hi Guys;

Just one overdue comment. There have been buildings built in Maine using sea water in the lime mortar and they did not hold up. Don't use salt water.

I can't say I have ever seen a mortar laid wall in Northern New England, just dry laid, sometimes pointed with mortar from the inside in a cellar.

Jim


The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Jim, nice to see your comments and question. Also interesting timing, I have just started a stone wall under the building attaching the house and barn. I have been wondering if I should use mortar or not. I started with a little dry premixed lime from Virginia Lime Works, I had some left over from a different job, laying the stone with mortar. Laying the stone with no mortar is much more relaxing, I can now feel better about it and point later. I will use a bed of mortar to set the sills on. The mortar will be to keep the cold winter drafts at bay.

Tim

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.217s Queries: 22 (0.194s) Memory: 2.9914 MB (Peak: 3.5623 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 10:08:05 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS