Had anybody come across this ? http://www.fairbankshouse.org/barn_frame.pdf

The most interesting aspect of it for me is that the roof is Common Purlin. The barn had stood in Essex County Mass, and I've been informally trying to learn how common that roof system was there on that bank of the Merrimack.

Took in a bunch of the house museums in neighboring Ipswich last Autumn (though I believe the season is over now) which boasts of holding more 17th ca homes than any other town in America, and over fifty First Period homes. The only one I was able to talk my way into the attic of, the Whipple House, had Common Purlins in its original wing, but common rafters in a mirror image wing built just a few years later. I almost broke the no flash photography rule up there, the docent had no interest in climbing around in a grimy attic with a crazy person and stayed downstairs with Molly.


"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/