Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
TIMBEAL #21818 11/22/09 02:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
I've got some more investigating to do on those timbers. There is a scribe line for the diminished haunches, they are very obvious.

Brad, you do it a little differently, but the principle is the same as how I was taught, which is to never saw blind. I make the groove on top, like you do, but then follow the line down the side of the timber until I meet the tenon, without cutting any on the blind side. Then I move to the other side and finish by cutting to that tenon. Sometimes you can see those sort of "see-saw" saw marks on old timbers.

Last edited by Dave Shepard; 11/22/09 02:16 PM.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 167
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 167
thanks for the insights and technique points.

this 'double-cut' method sounds really interesting- a similar technique is sometimes used in log building with big logs.

would this be a good way to work with hewn timbers?

and then, with practice, at the height of wildness coupled with technical acumen, it will be all axes- tenon shoulders, mortises, dovetails, pegs. one sure hit with the axe and its perfect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.341s Queries: 19 (0.318s) Memory: 2.9877 MB (Peak: 3.5643 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 09:48:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS