Thanks for responding Don.
From the "pegging design" in the "Timber Frame Joinery and Design Workbook" I drew up this sketch based on the min dimensions for an 8x8 timbers using 1.0" pegs.
Because words are open to interpretation I much prefer pictures.
Can you tell me if I understand this correctly.
This is a little different from what I have been doing. For example:
First- The "end distance A" is a little small for my liking. I would like to see this bigger. I fear the peg could cause the post to crack out the end.
Second- (Min edge dist A) My normal has been more like 1 3/4 to 2" inches from the shoulder. 4.0" seems like a lot. In an 8.0" tie beam I would only use two pegs. If it were a 10 or 12" Tie then I would use 3 pegs but the center peg would be staggered out a bit spread the stress line.
Here is the Tie joint in a small frame from this summer.
I am however open to suggestions so as to improve on my "rule of thumb" for designing the strongest joint.
Keep in mind that a picture is worth a thousand words.
Pictures rock... for a right brained thinker like me.

For the record, this frame was approved by our local township engineer.
More than likely he has no clue what he was looking at, scratched his head, and stamped it approved.