Hi Thane,
There isn't enough there to go on. Species and load per peg would be the starting point using this method. You seem to be basing the spacing distances in your first pic on the peg diameter? If so that is not my understanding. My gut reaction looking at that joint is that I would scratch my head and call it good.
Ok Don, now you have me scratching my head. I just thought that when the data in the design books were specifying spacing by saying: tenon end distance = 7dia., tenon edge distance = 1 1/2 dia. and so on. Is this not spacing pegs based on their diameter? We were after all talking about spacing with regards to steel bolts, were we not? Now you're talking about load per peg, green books and Dick Schmidt's conclusions. I'll have to admit Don, this is too much for me all at once.
It was a mistake for me jumping into this thread the way I did. I will watch this thread from the bench.