Can it be simpler than this? Yes and no. All these charts and 4d here and 3d in that direction are tough on a dyslexic brain. Follow traditions is what I try to do. As soon as it reaches into a joint in tension I have to think about it more and with common sense. I will add a wedged half dove tail quickly if there is a question, which can be pecked at as well. in stead of 3 pegs squeezed into an 8" tenon I will do two larger pegs or one, and a half dove tail, wedged. I have even seen no pegs just a wedged half tail but don't go there it was coming apart.
Most joints are in compression so a peg is assisting in assembling and not all that important to holding things together after it is up. 1-1/2" or 2" off the shoulder and centered on the tenon. I don't add two unless the tenon is 8" wide or wider, for the most part. Then you have to look at interference with other pegs coming into the same area and adjust accordingly, something not spoken of in the charts.
I am not bashing the charts or engineers they have to put it forth in such manner to run calculations on all this stuff to satisfy questions. Just offering a different perspective. I haven't reread the red and green books on this of late but should.
Tim