We just made 190, 7" long pegs tapered on both ends for a plank wall, 3 pegs per edge, 30 planks down each 43' wall. This was in the kitchen in the evening right at the table. I screwed the horse to the bench and make kindling with the shavings, the stuff is like gasoline. We only made 25 regular pins for the main frame, I will have to add 20 more for the rafters.
Speaking of pegs for plank walls, does anyone know if the original pegs for such were tapered on both ends? Jim D., have you seen any of late? I find them easy to engage the next plank.
As for the questions, shaved for sure. I have only bought pegs once and will most likely not do it again. Finding stock is no problem, try not to use bolts from the butt of the tree. I use mostly red oak and have used soft wood, spruce and tamarack also, along with black locust. Ever notice how locust smells like garbage after it has set for a summer, rank it is.
Tim