Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#22441 01/30/10 02:22 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 94
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 94
Does anyone have a sample drawing or image of splicing a post in its length? Making 2 pcs of 6 x 6 - 16 ft posts into a 28 or 30 footer? And the appropriate fasteners required, etc.

I need it to show an owner the difficulty of doing that joinery versus getting full length pieces cut.

I won't be building with your drawing, without permissions... and engineering.

Thanks.

jim haslip #22442 01/30/10 03:18 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
wood is usually cheaper than labor.
in 6x6 i wouldn't even try it - not much meet to do a proper splice unless you consider some steel in there.

and i doubt anyone will share a detail unless they understand use, loads, location in the frame, etc. etc.


Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
bmike #22443 01/30/10 08:32 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 94
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 94
Quote:
wood is usually cheaper than labor


exactly what I want them to understand.

the application is to use these lengthened posts to frame decks on three levels for a house. three stories tall.
I agree that 6x's are too light for proper joinery, but they have some 16 footers they want to use and think they need to be joined to make the posts taller...


I am trying to simply show the difficulties with the complexity of a proper joinery technique and wondered if a drawing is available. I really don't want to use this wood and am hoping that an image would show them what they are up against in terms of labour for layout and cutting.

Thanks for the reply.

jim haslip #22446 01/30/10 02:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 209
Member
Member
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 209
See the scarf joint section of Historical American Timber Joinery by Jack Sobon.

Will B #22514 02/03/10 01:11 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 94
Member
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 94
Thanks folks.

I knew I had an image someplace... :lol:


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.221s Queries: 24 (0.193s) Memory: 2.9844 MB (Peak: 3.5643 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 06:12:08 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS