Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22277 01/19/10 03:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
What are the better quality sources of drill bits for drilling peg holes and mortises? tb

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 850
mo Offline
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 850
peg holes. the owl goes hootie hoo. this my attempt not to riddle and not to name a specific brand for whatever reason..

mo #22298 01/20/10 02:41 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
Timber Brained, not sure if you are a professional or an owner builder. I am the latter. I personally love bit and brace, the old school method, for making peg holes. An old mortising machine is also a great way for making peg holes in the mortise and it keeps your bit properly aligned. I really discovered how well these tools work when I took Collin Beggs workshop, nearly as fast as powered tools, and you have better control. Jim Rogers in the Tool Form has good bits and boring machines available. Every tool I've purchased from him or seen of his has been sharp and a good working tool. There are also a lot of old braces on ebay for not much money. I just love the holes the old bits make, nice and clean due to a sharp spur. I'm a convert, albeit I'm not framing full time so I don't know the effect that would have on me. The control the hand tools give, and the fact that they are not slow were the selling points to me. Heck, if you have not, just get a brace and sharp bit and try it. Even if you don't use it full time, you will find times when you'd rather just grab it rather than run and extension cord and get the drill out. No noise either. I really like the Russell Jennings bits, but my mortising bits aren't marked and I like those too(from Jim).

Last edited by brad_bb; 01/20/10 02:42 AM.
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 687
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 687
I like the irwin bits, but only this model.

We had a 1" irwin bit that we used for 10 years until someone hit a nail with it on site and completely did it in. It was getting pretty old, we knew it didn't have many sharpenings left in it. But in 10 years it drilled a lot of holes -- deep holes in green cypress, dry heart pine, plenty of oak, etc. Can't argue with that.

The owl bits simply do not last as long because the spurs are too short to withstand many sharpenings.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
A take off from Gabel's link, this bit works in a boring machine, with an adaptor, the largest size is 1-1/2" for morticing. Too bad it doesn't come in 2".

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100174

Tim

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
For mortise holes I really like my Milwaukee (Self Feed) Drill Bit 2" which is readily available. Sharpen it up and away you go....but make sure you have a proper drill for it otherwise you will end up with some sore hands!

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Bruce, do you have a link or picture of this bit?

Tim

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
how are the bosch bits?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
sorry for the delay.....

check out Amazon dot com and enter 48-25-2562 into the search field smile

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Bruce, do you see chip clearing problems with that type of bit? Does it wander as well? I know someone who has such a bit and will chuck it in my boring machine and give my $.02 opinion on how it performs.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.202s Queries: 36 (0.176s) Memory: 3.0329 MB (Peak: 3.5648 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 04:49:20 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS