Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 687
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 687
Tim,

I tried one in our boss machine not long after the geometry adventure and it stripped out everytime it got buried in there good -- I could only get 2" deep. But it was fast and easy until it stripped the lead out -- I had no trouble turning a 2" bit in the high speed side.

let me know if you have better luck. I had really hoped it could be a good setup.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
It is funny how I can forget sometimes. As I was reading your post Gabel it flashed before me that we had tried it once before and it didn't work well, but I am going to try it anew. I have frozen wood now so a real test it will be. If I recall the feed screw is screwed into the bit, at least the one my brother has, and we needed vice grips to get it out and the screw was left in the bottom of the hole or something like that.

Tim

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
Actually I really like the bit and use it in a hand drill. Chip clearing is not a problem but I also need to pull the bit out every 2" in depth. I also spend time making it razor sharp when I know I am going into difficult wood. As for how it performs in a boring machine....I have yet to try it!

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
Bruce, what mortises are you using a 2 9/16" diameter bit on? 10" + timbers?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 120
Heheheheh I guess I should have been clear! The 2" bit is what I have and looks the same as the one shown....I just could not find the right part number for it smile

Though the thought of using much bigger timbers in a project is very appealing!

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
Nobody mentioned the bosch , dewalt, irwin long ship auger or spur auger bits. Does anyone use these?, as they seem more widely available. Like the 3/4 inch, or 1-inch by 17 inch for drilling peg holes.
Also, Brad, do you recommend a specific hand brace that is available? It seems like it is not used much since the invention of power drills, which can make it difficult to find a decent one at a reasonable price. I dont really have much trust in getting items off Ebay. Most of what I have tried to acquire has been pretty junky. tb

Last edited by timber brained; 02/16/10 11:19 PM.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
tb, Jim Rogers usually has a few braces. Check out his tools for sale list in this section.

Tim, I use something similar to the one in your post of Jan. 21, although it is made by New England twist drill. It bores a really nice clean hole, even through really old knots. The one I got is 1 1/4, that was the largest shorty they had in stock. The biggest long bit, about 16" was either 1.5 or 2 inch. I'm still trying to find a website for New England Twist Drill. I really like their products.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Link it if you find it Dave. I still have not had a chance to re-try the forstner type bit, it will happen in time.

Tim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.172s Queries: 31 (0.148s) Memory: 3.0214 MB (Peak: 3.5650 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:39:55 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS