Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
Anyone used this jack rabbet plane. I was curious about this large rabbet plane. seems like it could be a good tf tool. tb

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5
You mean the 10 1/2? I have one and its useful but best to have with a record 78(?) handy. The 78's narrower blade makes it easier to rough out wood if a large amount needs to be removed

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
The Lie-Nielsen is a 10 1/4, it has the tilting handles and nickers. A 10 1/2 is more like a 4 1/2 rabbet. I've got a very old No. 10 Stanley. I like it, so I'd probably like a LN even more.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 195
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 195
tb, the large rabbet planes are fantastic for joinery. I have an Award NO.10 and use it all the time on tenons, cheeks, houses, etc even have a second blade for smoothing mode grin Once I was shown the way, never looked back. I still slick a lot, but I always keep the no.10 close by..lol


there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 242
Yeah its the 10 1/4. with the tilting handles and nickers. I wonder is that their only plane that has tilting handles? I wonder how sharpening, adjustment maintenance you need to spend on the extra cutters? tb


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.201s Queries: 25 (0.174s) Memory: 2.9819 MB (Peak: 3.5623 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 06:36:14 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS