Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
TIMBEAL #23007 03/11/10 04:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
Member
Member
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 603
To be honest, I don't know if my glass is float or plate. I just went in and asked them to cut me a piece of 3/8 thick to my dimensions. I wonder if the difference would be significant in the distance over which we use it, and the way we use it? I do know that the glass I got works plenty good for my sharpening. I've put plenty of elbow grease into my glass when tuning a slick. No problem. I have the glass supported by an MDF frame/board, and this sets on my steel workbench. So long as your frame is on a reasonably flat surface, I think you'd be fine. Not you'd have this issue, but the glass does have a little flex to it before it would break, and I think the thicker you go, the stronger it will be. You could step up to 1/2 inch, but more than that is probably more than is necessary.

brad_bb #23013 03/11/10 01:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
J
Member
Member
J Online: Confused
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
We have some plate glass piece here that we sell. I'd have to measure them to be sure of what the dimensions are before I comment on them.
If anyone is interested in a piece.


Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,124
Glass is great, but the sandpaper needs to be glued well. I always stack another piece of glass on top of the paper I'm gluing and put some weight on it till dry. Also I use a straight edge to spread the glue as evenly as possible.
Even then, sand paper on glass is not like water stones, and I'll often see a bit of rounding at the edges of the surface I'm working on.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 895
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 895
I use spray adhesive (3M Super 77). Afeter a few times, you need to scrape off the old glue with a razor blade. CB.


--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.316s Queries: 24 (0.282s) Memory: 3.0024 MB (Peak: 3.5652 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 11:00:06 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS