Well, how sharp is the bit? Are the feed screw threads in good shape? Some are rusty and missing their edge, dull too. the cutters should be able to catch your finger nail as you drag or try to drag/ scrape the face of your finger nail across the edge, just like any cutting tool. I like my bit to sound clean, a dull bit will make more of a grinding noise and the 1/2 chip will look ragged, look for scratch marks in the chip.

I use a small flat file and a small triangular file, the finer the cut the better. I don't polish with stones etc., just the fine file. Keep the cutting edge the lowest point, you don't want any other part of the bit touching the wood first, the edge needs to lead. Another good video possibility.

Try it in fresh wood, you will get a different result just by boring green wood. You should not have to apply pressure. There are exceptions, pitch pockets, peg holes, frozen wood, and at times knots all effect the feed screw. Spruce is just stubborn, also try it on other species to get a full understanding.

In frozen wood I have had to bore a 1/8" pilot hole to get through frozen sap wood, once in heart wood it pulls fine.

Tim