Hi D.L.
I am on much the same wavelength as yourself when it comes to critical appraisal of the timber employed in old building construction. I have found elm cruck blades still in service today that are over 600 years old. We plan to fell some standing dead Wytch elm next week in our woodland and then have a go at hewing that out so I will report back on progress made (or not!).
Many timber framing companies in the UK prefix their names by the word oak (e.g. Oakwrights) but I have found over 23 different types of trees growing in our woodland and I am keen to experiment with them all.
It can be quite difficult to determine what species is employed in an old building due to the build up of smoke blackening and / or limewash / paint coatings.
[img]
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pU...ging.jpg?psid=1[/img]
I have even seen materials stuck over timbers and then painted with patterns which now preclude any kind of determination.
Is there an easy way to identify timbers employed ?
Regards
Ken Hume
p.s. why won't my photo display in this post ?