Yes, unfortunately we are largely limited to those trees that happen to grow in our local woodlands. This particular region is dominated by hardwoods, with the occasional stand of white pine and here and there a redceder. But at the same time, I am not the only one involved here so it is still good to list other trees that I don't have.

I feel that there are some who agree that 'inferior' species are usable. And I do believe that a slight modification of technique can open up a whole world of possibilities to us as hewers.

For example, the other day I was hewing some hickory. I scored the log using the German method, where 2 men stand facing the log with small axes and cut down at the notch. This method is incredibly fast, a single notch can be made in a fraction of the time that it takes to stand atop and swing down between your feet. I would highly recommend this method to anyone who has the availability of a second worker.
When it came time to pop off the juggles, i stood atop and began to swing at the ends. However I quickly discovered that the grain was somewhat contrary, and so decided to change my approach. I then sat on top of the log (as stated earlier I position the log at about waist height so that I can comfortably sit on it with my feet on either side still touching the ground)and chopped down at the juggles. I adapted my approach to the characteristics of the log, allowing me to work much more efficiently than if I had stuck with only 1 single approach throughout. I actually think that chopping down at the juggles leaves you a much cleaner face that is much easier and faster to finish off with the broadaxe. I am seriously considering abandoning end splitting on all but the straightest, cleanest logs because the advantage gained when finish hewing does seem to outweigh the extra time and effort taken splitting them from the top rather than from the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j506cXGvOPg

That video shows some good examples of 2 of the techniques I use, two man scoring and chopping from the top, just in case you do not know what I mean.

I should also note that I do not have the narrow-bitted, straight-faced axes like the Germans typically use to score. I just use whatever axes happen to be available to me at the time. A short handle is certainly an advantage. My axe collection is growing all the time. Basically whenever I see an old axe on ebay selling for less than I know it could be worth with a little work and a new handle, then I buy it. I also like to collect axes from Central Europe whenever I can find them. The tools you have certainly affect your technique. If all you have is an American felling axe and a large broadaxe, then you simply can't use a lot of the techniques that I like to use.


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/