I have a question, but first I guess I should answer one that was asked of me.
As to why I use the 2 man method, really I guess the reason is because to me it makes sense. I didn't learn in Germany or Switzerland or such (I've never yet had the privilege of going to the old Heimat) But I read about it, thought it sounded sensible, and then proceeded to learn how it is done. -The best way to learn being by doing. I would love to travel their some day, and would especially love to work with some traditional carpenters and learn from them (how does one do such a thing I wonder?)
Now my question, Does anyone know where I could find some German style scoring axes (see the video posted earlier) or some such tool? Right now I use whatever is available to me at the time, and I can certainly understand how a straight narrow bit would be a major advantage. I would prefer to find the real deal (mostly because i think it would be great for my ever expanding axe collection) but If nothing else a substitute axe might work. The Gransfors corner/mortise axe is actually quite similar in profile to what I am seeking.
Also I thought I might say that I purchased a tool that sort of fits into the hewing spectrum. It is a tool for applying the final finish to fine hand hewn timbers, a German Stichaxt. (In French called a Demi Besaigue, because it's sort of like half a besaigue) If you are unfamiliar with this tool, it's kind of like a combination of a slick and an axe. It's made by Oschenkopf I believe (it's either them or Müller and Söhne of Austria) SO I plan on judging their quality by this tool. (Incidentally, I would love to acquire some Müller tools. If you ever find their catalog they have a huge assortment of traditional tools, all hand forged in Austria)