I want to talk a little about the tools used for hewing too.

Personally, I am an axe man. I love the axe, I think it is the perfect tool (that's not an exaggeration at all) See my latest post on the Daisy Wheel Design thread to learn why I have such an opinion of this king of all tools. To me, scoring the log with a chainsaw is like cheating. It seems like an insult to the timber, like a lack of respect for the material you are working with. With the axe, you and the log are having a friendly conversation, and the log is learning to see things your way, all the while you are learning quite a bit about it. With the saw for scoring, you miss a lot of this information that could come in handy on down the road, while juggling and later when using the timber. The first bite of the axe tells you quite a bit about the wood, and so does each bite from that point.

Now back to tools (sorry, I'm in a very mystic, philosophical mood today)

I use a number of axes when hewing any one log. Previously I used a gransfors bruks broad axe as my only broad axe. It's truly a wonderful tool, but it's not the ideal tool for every job. I recently acquired an American symmetrical broad axe (I mounted it for left hand use for the time being so that 2 people could work on a face at once) with a 12" bit. I was absolutely amazed at how good a job this tool did.

This tool is vastly inferior in quality to my nice (expensive) Swedish axe, but it's design and more importantly its sheer mass are a tremendous benefit. When I got it the blade was full of nicks, the head itself was rusty and gummy for some reason. I spent several hours with a file, a sander, and some WD40 and got the thing back to working condition, and made a nice new hickory handle for it. Using this axe is so much faster.

I love my gransfors axe, dont get me wrong. I use it now to do the things my other axe can't. I use it to clean up any messy spots and smooth out irregularities. I also use it for carving, shaping, and some for joinery, kind of like an Austrian style carpenter's axe which is really just a small broad axe.

I am also impatiently awaiting the arrival of 2 German-style goosewing axes to ship from Austria, 1 is a medieval pattern axe and the other is a little different that I intend to mount on a long handle.

By the way, I NEVER use an adze for hewing. TO me an adze is a tool for joinery and such.

I have come to the conclusion through further study that the German's don't really use any kind of a special axe for cutting notches. From what I can tell they seem to be nothing more than a small forest type axe, similar in size to the Gransfors (or wetterlings for that matter) forest axe. For this taks I just use whatever is at hand, but a small bit seems to work the best -although currently my Gransfors broadaxe does find use for cutting notches.
The goosewing that I intend to hand with a long handle will be used hopefully for 1 man hewing, as to be seen in the video Ken posted earlier.

I also like my new Stossaxt, which is good for cleaning up rough spots

So what are some of the tools you all use?


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/