hello everyone tonight:

Well DL--I like some of what you have to say but disagree with some of what you say.

First I like the no chainsaw use to notch, that is my style, probably not a contractors aproach too costly, but for sure the notching by hand with an axe, will give you the true hand hewn finish if that is what you want to accomplish, or asked to accomplish or produce.

Another thing to consider is the chainsaw track in the finished surface, these things will happen when you try to cheat.

As I read your post I could not help but wonder how you produce accurately and consistently a good surface using so many different axes, I am a firm believer that one should stick to one favourite axe for hewing and another for scoring.

My thinking behind this is that one needs to be very familiar with the curved handle of the broadaxe so that as you use it you can strike the surface of the lined timber exactly where you want and need to

Notching with a broadaxe--I don't think so----------

The scoring axe--another tool that should be carefully chosen and then unless the handle is broken you should stay with one only switching handles is a very critical step and dangerous on top of that.

I realize people will do things in many different ways but for me I recommend a safe approach--choose two axes and use them for the use they are intended for, and for sure keep the adze in the box when the hewing process is on the go.

I have many different axes in my collection but each one feels differently as I pick them up only one feels comfortable.

Just my opinion

For the record I use a North American style broadaxe about 10" across the cutting edge, it is a family heirloom with a nice amount of tool steel inset left in the cutting edge, and I hew right handed

I also favour a smallish scoring axe with a nice cherry handle that exhibits curves that are also a family tradition

There are pictures of both in my thread you may have to look alittle to find them, because they are back a ways

NH