Here's how I deal with bottom tear out:
If I am working on a log that I know will tear out, I adjust the angle of attack of my axe. Normally I chop more or less straight down with the broad axe, but if it is spiraling then my chops at the very bottom will come more along the length of the grain. It also helps to score the wood very close. Not juggle score, but light scoring prior to finish hewing 2 to 3 inches apart. I deal with the problem at the very end of the log by leaving the whole log extra long, so that any offending grain can simply be cut off.
That's also one reason to switch from end-popping of juggles to cutting them off from the top. On a twisting log, splitting off the juggles from the end allows the split to run off in bad directions, but if you cut them off from the top you have total control of the split.




Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/