Sorry, I misunderstood the direction the grain was spiraling. When it goes the one direction, I find it works to hew along the grain striking the axe away from you, when it twists the other direction then it is helpful to pull the axe toward yourself. That's my strategy anyway. Or alternately you could just use a left-handed axe if you have one. My 12" broadaxe is currently hung for left handed use, and I am fortunate enough to be able to use my left hand decently as the forward hand, but I realize not everyone can do that. The solution then is to use a slightly longer handle and grip with your right hand a little further from the head than you would otherwise to prevent knuckle smashing.
I find that an arching motion with the axe along with a closely scored face helps tighten the leash on the grain. The scoring is done just with a single cut ever so slightly deeper than the line (these scoring marks will show on the finished surface, unless you can perfect the process) usually about 3" apart, but sometimes closer around trouble spots or heavily twisted logs. This way if the grain does twist away from you, then it only has the opportunity to do so for an inch or so before your cross-grain cut stops it. You can score with any old axe you please, I like to use my 12" axe because it will leave a straight score the full width of most timbers. If I am using a narrower axe, then I usually score the face with a series of staggered cuts. My scoring cuts are always slanted, just because that's how it happens. On a finished and planed surface, the slight remnant of these scoring marks creates a very attractive appearance. On an exterior application, however, I would say you need to eliminate them somehow so they don't wick water into the wood.
I used to not score on the final finish hew because I wanted a smooth face, but when I tried it once I have never looked back. It makes a world of difference!
Last edited by D L Bahler; 06/23/10 04:51 PM.