Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24822 12/05/10 03:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
I'd like to learn a little about perspective drawing, as well a some other drafting techniques. Can anyone recommend any books, or possibly a YouTube channel that might help? I'm working on paper, not on the computer for this. Thanks.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 850
mo Offline
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 850

#24826 12/05/10 04:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
Dave -

Are you planning to take 2d plans and make perspective drawings / renderings?


Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
#24827 12/05/10 05:47 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Yes, I'd like to take some of the plans I have for the Dutch barn I'm working on and try to draw a perspective of the frame. I have scaled plan views and elevations. At present, this is just an educational exercise, as we have an architect overseeing the project. However, in the future, I'd like to be able to put some of my ideas on paper. I know what I'm seeing in my head, but it is very hard to convey that in words, or my really bad sketching.

mo, thanks for that link.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
#24828 12/05/10 09:02 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Sorry I can't offer any real help, but good luck! I like to see people using their wits and skills rather than outsourcing it to computers or architects!


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
#24829 12/05/10 10:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Hi Dave, I haven't tried this type of board but it seem cool.
http://www.hearlihy.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=2354&bhcp=1

I talked to J Sobon at the Geo workshop and he said he was using some type of lined paper. The angles were already to go, just plug lengths, size and such into it.

Maybe something like this....
http://www.hearlihy.com/store/default.aspx?CategoryID=89&by=9&c=1

I hope you share your results.

#24830 12/05/10 10:35 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
I don't have anything against the computers, I do have Sketchup on here. Somewhere. Most of the things I learn are for my own enjoyment.

Tim, I just happened to pick up a pad of isometric paper on Friday. I'll have to talk to Jack the next time he comes down to the shop.


Thanks.


Member, Timber Framers Guild
#24831 12/05/10 11:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
Isometric is different from perspective - there are no vanishing points in an isometric view... and typically creating an isometric drawing is a straight forward affair of transferring (projecting) the various elements to their respective 'sides' in the drawing. (Straight forward here having little to do with difficulty).


Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
#24832 12/06/10 06:03 AM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
I don't have anything against computers either.

Well Ok I do have some against computers, but as far as using computer programs for things like this, I see no real problem.

I just think it's good for people to be able to know how to do things without them, and I have a few reasons for thinking like This:
I am from a very conservative culture that is very cautious about technology
It seems entirely possible to me that there might be a not to distant future where we are going to have to learn how to live without a lot of the things we take for granted
And I think that we sometimes forget how to think for ourselves, and if we know how to do things without computers we will be all around better carpenters, even if we still use the computers

this is one of my reasons for studying geometry, not necessarily because I think we need to design everything with geometry, but because I think there are valuable lessons to be learned from it that will make me a better carpenter. (also because I am a nut! And my way of thinking may very well have more in common with that of the medieval man than most modern people)

As far as actually drawing perspectives, the biggest advice I could actually give is just practice a whole lot. I have drawn pictures of buildings since I was a little kid -they always fascinated me (me and y brothers were always building huts and lean-to's in the woods as kids), so I had the advantage of developing those skills early on. So it is admittedly hard for me to relate.


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Hello,

On the low tech end.


(This is pt 3, also look up pt 2.)

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 12/06/10 09:00 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.228s Queries: 36 (0.202s) Memory: 3.0345 MB (Peak: 3.5650 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 05:34:45 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS