Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,199
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,199
Hello everyone

Every once in a while I put forward educational DVD,s that can be a great help explaining the technique needed to be utilized by those that are trully interested in learning this old craft

I draw on over 30 years of personal experiences and actual use of this great historic tool at one of the greatest reconstucted historic attraction in North America.

I also draw on 2 generaions of Casselman Family background who were familiar with and used this tool to carve out their homesteads here in Upper Canada starting in 1784

I specialize in the hewing technique and have taught many courses to groups from all over the world.

I like to converse and will explain how you can obtain this training material.

The Northern Hewer

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 47
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 47
I would be interested in getting this material. Please let me know how I can get this?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,199
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,199
Hello everyone tonight

Further to the hewing video offer I am now able to offer help using the adze as a separate topic, and to go wih the hewing offer i have put together educational material on carving out the offset broadaxe handle that you may be wanting to prepare for your broadaxe axehead

NH

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
I make my broadaxe handles by carving them straight to rough size, then bending them with the aid of boiling water, and fitting them after they are dry again. I take it you must use a different method?

I like this method, because it ensures continuous grain in the handle despite the crook.


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
When I made my handle, I found a nice piece of crooked wood in the firewood pile and rived out a blank from that.


Member, Timber Framers Guild

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.245s Queries: 24 (0.213s) Memory: 2.9830 MB (Peak: 3.5643 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 05:45:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS