Hi Jim,
Now I know the meaning of the term - monitor roof. I wonder if it has been included in the Timber Framing Glossary ?
As it happens my current project is to design an early style aisled open hall with genuine design features appropriate for circa 1180. One of the things that I have included in this design is an octagonal louvred cupola with smoke hood and flue to gather and duct the hall smoke up through the thathed roof covering. I did consider looking at sugar house roof designs to see how this is normally achieved but got sidetracked. A concern that I have is if the rafters have to be cut thru near the apex and altering the normal behaviour of a rafter couple and so I wonder if there is an increased reliance placed on purlins and roof bracing to keep both the roof and monitor stable.
Does anyone have a Sketchup image or drawing showing typically how a sugar house roof is framed ?
I'll also do a web search as recommended - thanks Jim.
Regards
Ken Hume