Hello, I've got a client that wants a trellis. I had originally specced the posts and some of the structure out of PTW, but the client wants cedar. So it will be cedar. My question is do I dare put the posts below grade? I live in Saskatchewan, Can so the climate is quite cold. The ground is pure sand, according to the builder the waterline is ~12' down and the frostline is 8+ feet.

I was planning to place the PTW posts 3-4' below grade by digging a hole by hand, maybe pouring a little concrete at the bottom to establish an elevation. Then lining the hole with fabric and filling around the post with crushed rock after the post is in and the frame is up. This is how the pole barn builders around here do it(with or without the concrete).

How long would cedar posts last under grade in that environment? Or should I decide on a way to build with them above grade? If so what have you done?

Last edited by Gumphri; 03/23/11 02:46 AM.

Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca