Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26168 04/11/11 07:19 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Hello,

I am looking for methods and information in general about tied joints - using the term tied in the normative sense, as in, "your shoe laceless are untied." Can anybody help out?

#26169 04/11/11 12:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
What are you building, an Umiak? Moose hide or seal? Maybe ballistic nylon?

Last edited by TIMBEAL; 04/11/11 12:13 PM.
#26173 04/11/11 02:42 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Hello,

Yes, I've noticed that a lot of traditional boat builders use lashing to bind their framing. So do those landlubbers American Indians, Japanese carpenters and Chinese scaffolding builders to name a few, all with a lot of skill and technique which is more of what I'm after. Just the different methods called for or used in particular instances. It's for the scaffolding I'm putting up here at the house while I work up there on the roof.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 04/11/11 02:44 PM.
#26174 04/11/11 04:35 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
In Thailand, pavilion type structures and scaffolds are frequently built of bamboo. These are tied together. Here is a picture:

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/HiddenOrder/IMG_0971.jpg
DLB

Last edited by D L Bahler; 04/11/11 04:40 PM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
#26175 04/11/11 04:46 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
also this one:

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/HiddenOrder/IMG_0640.jpg

with a roof made of leaves, I don't recall the name of the tree they come from but it has gigantic leaves.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 04/11/11 04:47 PM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
I have not checked the references for specifics, so, "The Ashley Book of Knots" by Clifford Ashley is a very complete catalogue of knots and lashings and military field manuals on rigging are available on the internet.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Thanks for jogging my memory Roger Nair. Now you mention it I do recall a section on lashing in that book of knots and I will go look through the bookcase and try and retrieve it.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Just the ticket


Selection chosen from Handbook of Knots, by Raoul Graumont.

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 04/12/11 09:25 AM.
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
In Ashley's entries 2102 through 2118 are of particular interest to TFers, lashings for shearlegs, derricks, tripods and scaffolds.


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.233s Queries: 33 (0.195s) Memory: 3.0045 MB (Peak: 3.5654 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 05:35:21 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS