Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26600 06/10/11 10:18 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
I have been needing a froe for splitting wood lately, and could not find the one I used to have. Rather than buy a new one, I decided to try to make my own. My friend Bennie had an old truck spring, and he cut a piece off.



In order to make a useable froe, the spring first had to be heated and shaped. I had to use the tools at hand, the bar-b-q grill worked okay with forced air from a hair dryer. As a bonus, hamburgers were grilled after the first pass at shaping the froe.



http://www.coferadams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Froe-truck-spring-14.jpg

I had tested filing the edge, and the file just skated along the metal. Once the blade was straightened and centered, it was reheated and left to cool slowly in the ashes. This seemed to soften the spring steel enough to be able to file it.

To test the froe, I made a temporary handle from a hickory sapling.



Once I felt the froe was adequately shaped and worked properly, I started making a better handle from a seasoned white oak billet and worked on getting the cleaving edge right.




#26601 06/10/11 11:27 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
J
Member
Member
J Online: Confused
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
Nice job...


Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
#26602 06/10/11 11:51 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Thanks, Jim! All it needs now is a little fine tuning, and finishing the handle! It works great!

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
Hello,

Here is some fine fro work going on, and a deluxe handle to boot.
Alex Stewart, Cooper

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

#26609 06/10/11 03:11 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Don, that's fantastic! thanks for sharing!

lumberguy,
nice work, good to see people tryin things for themselves!


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
#26612 06/10/11 10:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
J
Member
Member
J Online: Confused
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,696
My blacksmith friend made me a froe from a spring as well....


Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
#26616 06/11/11 01:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
And from Poland, check out this monster froe.....
http://mcnorlander.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/blacksmith-at-work/

#26635 06/14/11 06:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Cool links! Thanks, guys, for the inspiration!


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.241s Queries: 31 (0.210s) Memory: 2.9998 MB (Peak: 3.5654 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:37:56 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS