Does anyone have any general engineering experience with queen post barns. What I am looking at is a basic New York style barn 26' x 36'(14'-8'-14' bays). Much of the roof load is transferred to the purlin plates,queen post bents and and then to the tie beams. The tie beams have one support in the middle(with braces) and the queen posts go into the tie beam about 6' 6" from side wall.
My question is how would you calculate the actual amount of load on these tie beams? Additionally, when there is also a floor framed into them, would you have to add both the floor load and the point loads together, in order to size the beam? It seems if you did this,you would need a beam like 12"x24" to support it. However I have taken part in the building of and have seen enough of these frames, that had much smaller beams and have done just fine. Is there something I am missing?
I am new to the engineering aspects of building but I would like to know a little bit more than just floor joist sizing. If anyone has any experience with these frames please share some insights. Thanks tb

Last edited by Joel McCarty; 01/27/12 09:16 PM.