Hi Brad, I haven't seen any hard enforced code work down this way. There was the lead paint issue. It's coming I can hear it. Which is kind of why I feel the way I do about this engineering thing. If we are going to be required to bring things to a specific level of "safety" give the people the tools to assist them in getting there. Don't hold back and say "tah tah, no you have to have a professional do this for you".

I used to post a fair amount on the FF but have stopped. I am glad to see Craig, Jim and a few others continue to post there.

I remember back to the first few building I planned out and cut. It felt like I was back in high school taking a test I was not prepared for. Compared to today, I just did a whole plan, cut list, timber size, joinery decisions, a full estimate all on one sheet of paper 8x11 and can saw the timber and cut the frame with no other input and feel very comfortable with how it will work and will probably make few change as it progresses, the finer details. And I am sure it would pass any engineers scrutiny. All with hand tool and up hill in a snow storm, well it turned to rain.

I have on occasion use an engineer to chase out some of the more questionable items.

Where is the OP, I have questions that aren't answered? How about a canted queen post? wouldn't this push the loads out nearer the center post and exterior post via the strut?