Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 895
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 895
I started a new thread for this topic. Brad and Mike were asking for a new feature for the TF rubies, where the shape of the peg hole symbol would be used to indicate the diameter of the peg hole that should be drilled. Currently, there is just a construction point "cross hairs" placed on the mortise to indicate the center of the hole. I think I can add this, but I need some more information.

  • I assume you guys are talking about the beg hole marks that appear on shop drawings, not the "pegettes" that appear on presentation drawings.
  • Do they need to appear on the tenons, or just the mortises?
  • How do you envision specifying the "peg type"? At what point in the workflow would you expect a dialog to come up to ask for the peg type?


--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
Clark,

I think it would show on mortise and tenon (assuming a draw bore situation), and only in the 'Make Shop Drawing'.

The dialog would have to happen when you run the TF Peg / create peg command. Not sure how that would work - but I guess it gets tricky as one would have to somehow label joints in a catalog with peg sizes now...

And, to be honest - I've only really wished for this one or two times. Most times that I've used the Rubies for any sort of production type drawing the pegs were all 1" with the exception of a few... so it wasn't a big deal.

But, if I were doing more production work - I'd want to automate the calling out of the pegs.


Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 918
You might be able to throw these on a separate layer... you could then toggle the shapes on and off pretty easily.


Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 133
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 133
I don't know enough about the way that the TF stuff is handled behind the scenes, but could you not add all the pegs and then select groups of them afterwards and specify their size. It strikes me that a dialog which pops up every time you use the peg tool would drive you rapidly insane if you never wanted to change peg size.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 895
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 895
Originally Posted By: Jon Senior
I don't know enough about the way that the TF stuff is handled behind the scenes, but could you not add all the pegs and then select groups of them afterwards and specify their size. It strikes me that a dialog which pops up every time you use the peg tool would drive you rapidly insane if you never wanted to change peg size.


Well, that's exactly my concern. I don't want to add a step for every peg hole. Especially since (apparently like me), most folks are using the same peg size throughout.


--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.174s Queries: 25 (0.152s) Memory: 2.9857 MB (Peak: 3.5643 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:48:39 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS