Hello Jon, How is the house work coming?
I had tried out the translate program on that one site you reference and have to say it works really well with the French, maybe not surprising. The discussion went over the fishtail form but I think it was a bit in the abstract and the conclusion maybe wrong because in my usage I have to conclude that the fishtail facilitates sharpening what is otherwise a very awkward piece of iron by allowing you to jam a point into you're chopping block to steady one end. I'm doing a lot of sharpening you see in connection with figuring out the good bevel angle.
So far between a hatchet, drawknife and coutre I find this to be pretty effective and efficient given that it is a right handed tool and I am left handed, I have no further experience with this tool, it was and is in pretty marginal condition despite hours lapping, grinding, filing, sharpening, handeling en so forth. Better to have gotten one new from the smidt all in all. Despite my complaints however I am pleased to have another axe on hand.
Greetings,
Don Wagstaff