Hi Jon,
Yeah, a rainy day up here too, but in fact it was a welcome break. Only thing is it revealed a leak or two out there in the barn that now will need repairing first thing. One good thing about a new house is that you can address things like that in the proper order, as you soon will.
I was skeptical about that hooking claim in regard to the function of the fish tail on the coutre. It seemed like a speculation of someone who has never had one in hand and put it to use, though I'm not trimming barrel staves which may make the difference. But that, "while seated" is definitely a reference to technique. I missed that part about the handle, but from some of the pictures it is seemingly straightforward.
There was some mention of the demi-bisaigue earlier here, that it was somewhat unwieldy in certain conditions. Maybe once you get used to the demi you can move onto the full. French carpenters seem to have a preference for all metal tools. I guess it comes from the blacksmith tradition there and even now.
All the best with those next two posts.
Oh yeah, will you be going to the Frame event that will be in France this year?
Greetings,
Don Wagstaff