Hi and thanks for having this form and guild.

Short version of what I often turn into a long story. We bought an old cape style house (as best we can find out it was made in the 1740's) knowing that someday we would like to add on to the house to make room for our growing family.

The excavator arrived today! so we are moving forward.

In the process of planning the addition over the past couple years we were fortunate to be guided to a very interesting world that mixes history, skill, art, function, permanence, and heart into timber framing.

We have gone from just a basic understanding that post and beam was cool and different than stick framing to wanting to read everything I can find about old barns, joints, etc. I joined the guild and have been reading the back issues of the newsletter and magazine.

Our addition will be taking a scribe rule barn that hasn't been used in many years and is beginning to fall apart and turn it into living space for a growing family. While, hopefully, persevering as much of the history of the barn and frame as we can. We will be doing much of the work DIY.

I think I managed to attach a picture of the house and the barn as it stands today. The barn will attach at the end of the driveway on the right side of the house.

I will be posting lots of questions as we get the project going.
Attachments
IMG_1840.JPG (2.37 MB, 247 downloads)
DSCN0133.JPG (1.45 MB, 245 downloads)