Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
I hope this works - below is link to several pictures of our barn coming down over the past week or so.

This will be rebuilt (well 4 bays will be rebuilt, shrunk back to the original - as best we can guess - width)

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/Lise_Perreault_Johnson/profile/

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
I was looking for 2' marks and noticed a daisy wheel on tie beam WX. Did you notice such marks on other members?

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/Lise_P...?sort=3&o=3

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
These marks will aid in determining where the old building and new building conject.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
I did see some two foot marks with half circles scribe.

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
I"m very new at this, but the half circle marks seemed to be marriage marks for the bracing. There were some with one line next to another line with half a circle, whole circle, one and a half and two full circles.

I assumed they were marriage marks - but they are a lot neater than the major joint marriage. The circles are shallow "U" shapes, like they were scraped out and not just slashed into the wood. There is plenty of slashing for marking the mortice and tenon marks. These do seem much neater.

I added a picture of one of these marks in the photo bucket link above.

That was the only daisy wheel we have found. There were some circles on some of the wall boards. Nothing fancy - a single circle with a couple arcs interesting it.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Hi Jim, I now see the marriage marks on the braces. There is also clear reference lines at about the two foot location on rafters and posts,some with half circles and some with none, clean lines scribed across the timber used in lay out to locate the position of the timber on the scribe floor.

It is a cool frame, for sure. How much was it widened? 5'?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
Hi JimJ.

I have seen this style of framing in New Hampshire near the Epsom traffic circle. I am curious where your barn was originally standing and if there is any evidence of it originally being a side entry barn rather than the current gable entry type. Are there many other barns like this that you know of? Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Thanks;
Jim D.


The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
Member
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447

Where does / did the Epsom frame stand Jim? I'm curious if maybe I've stepped into it also.


"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
The barn was in Weare NH. Right now it is in my yard. Will post more pictures of it coming up soon.

We been busy cleaning the worood that will be re-used.


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.283s Queries: 33 (0.251s) Memory: 3.0049 MB (Peak: 3.5653 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:38:20 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS