Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
I thought this was an interesting joint in the old barn we will be re-using.

The plate without the jowl(?) us about 44 feet long. The plate with jowl is about 36 ft long. They are the same style joints on each side of the barn.

I don't know if part was an addition (all the rafters look to be the same wood and appearance) or originally built like that. (The barn was widened in the middle, I will make a new posting to ask about that.)

Would this make a stronger plate then doing a scarf joint?
Attachments
IMG_7945.JPG (1.65 MB, 390 downloads)
IMG_7973.JPG (1.32 MB, 356 downloads)
IMG_8249.JPG (1.83 MB, 323 downloads)

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
Member
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
I've seen this but once before - In that instance, and I believe in this one also, a change of mind was had in the length of the barn. Before the building was raised it was extended by a bay - And this is how they chose to join the extended plates.

Are there any nailers / wall purlins (with nail holes suggesting siding had been attached) in the Bent these Jowled Plates join? Is there any foundation under this Bent, or does it simply run past it suggesting the original footprint included the extended Bay/s?

How far am I from you?

OK - I see now you are in Epping.

Last edited by Will Truax; 04/19/14 12:39 PM. Reason: Read the other thread

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
I could see that being an extension during constructions, but it added 3 more bays. Still possible.

Not sure about the foundation. The other end has been access to the foundation. This end is covered in years of stuff and some of it was cut out for a concrete milking floor.

I will try to look for nailing marks next time I am there.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
Member
Member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 946
From these and the pictures on your other post, I would gather this barn was either built largely from an older barn (that is, someone took down an old barn and used its pieces as the basis for constructing a new barn) or else the barn was just taken down and expanded. It's not uncommon for an old frame to be used to make a new building, there are a lot of barns around Indiana where that was the case.


Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447
Member
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 447

I don't see any nail holes in the pictured framing, but do see some discoloration suggesting what I can't be sure.

David, the Jowled plate sounds like it is three bays long, suggesting it was purpose hewn and not recycled from an earlier frame. Here full length plates are common to scribe period barns - Which oddly fits this funky bit of framing.


"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
Yes, the jowled plate is three bays long (about 36 ft). Overall barn is close to 80 ft.

To me it looks like it was built at the same time...roof and wall sheathing are the same over the whole barn.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 332
Hi JimJ;

I have no question your joweled plate is an addition. This type of joint is typical of additions. Two other pieces of evidence are some weather marks showing the old vertical boarding and the rafter overhangs the tie beam an inch which is a way to lap the gable boards over the lower wall boards. Nice barn.

Jim D.


The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.219s Queries: 30 (0.191s) Memory: 3.0003 MB (Peak: 3.5652 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:38:37 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS