|
|
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 9 |
Newby question. . .I bought a decent adze, but unlike my buddy's this one has no flat head opposite the cutting edge, but a bit of a snout, sort of octagonal and a few inches long, lightly tapered. I think I read somewhere that this is driven into a log or timber so the cutting edge could be touched-up in the field.
Is this correct?
Thank you.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463 |
I don't think the pin poll was developed as an aid to sharpen the adze, rather I have read that the pin was used by builders and ship carpenters to drive nail remains deeper into the timber with the tool in hand and not stop work get another tool and extract the nail.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882 |
Wooden Boat's recent issue had a good article on adzes. The use of the pole on the end is still up for debate. At one point in the article it was mentioned "ask the adze's owner if he thought the pole was of any use and would he cut it off if it had no viable use, Nope, not cutting it off"
I think sticking the point in to some chunk of wood for sharpening would not be very good for holding it well. And the nail thing, try pounding nails with it some time.
I suspect it is art and or for balance.
I'm just on the internet dubbing around.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463 |
Tim, google images for railroad maul and you will find spike drivers with a very narrow face. We are part of the clumsy generation of tool users, we just have not put in the repetition necessary to develop fine skill with what initially seems an unwieldy tool.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882 |
Still a sizable pin head and a bigger target than a nail head. The weight of the adze blade is also a little ackward when used in the upside down direction. Possible, but I would just go over the surface with a real hammer and set then pick up the adze. Also, re surfacing after a timber has been in use just seems like it would wreck havoc on the cutting edge of the adze, grit and what not. Until I see some official document, pictures or writings, I will have to say any of these possible uses are just speculation. http://www.industryrailway.com/p/296/spike-maul
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463 |
Referring to the White Tool Catalog, the adzes with the pin polls are ship and bridge carpenters tools. My guess for usage of the poll relates to bedding, decking and planking operations especially rehabs where old nail remnants are likely. http://toolemera.com/catpdf/lijwhite1905Cat.pdfThe swing for striking, for the purpose of punching in a nail would be short and measured, in contrast driving railroad spikes with a full round swing. John Henry was not only a man but an artist of industry. Hitting the target should not be a problem. Anyhow, this is speculation, give it the weight it deserves.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 718 |
I've heard the type with a pin were shipwrights adzes. I don't know the exact method, but there was apparently a need to whack something at regular intervals while adzing. I have one with a very small pin, maybe 1/2" diameter at most.
Member, Timber Framers Guild
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882 |
Great catalog link, Roger.
It still seems odd a manufacturer would make a tool with a projection on the end so it could be used to punch/set nails on a work site planned in the future on rehab work. These tool were for new construction. I for sure would not risk hitting a nail with my sweetheart adze on some old wood with nails in it. And if I need to set nails below the surface I would use a proper tool, a nail set and a big one. If memory serves well, large nails don't set easy. A well placed measured swing of an adze will not do much on a spike, it is too light.
I still can't see it. I have all the confidence the workers back then were very capable and had good eye hand coordination.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463 |
Tim, ships go to sea, get battered in storms, get repaired afloat and eventually ends up in dry dock. Rehab and repair was and still is normal, although wooden boats are far less common. Isn't a boat after all a hole in the water to pour money?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882 |
Yes, even small wooden boats, like a skiff. I was thinking bridges, the opposite of a boat.
|
|
|
|
|