Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 582
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 582
Hi Sean,

Send an email or give a call anytime...I am glad to be of service and/or help. Tim Rau of Pleasant View Restorations of the Albany New York area isn't that far from you (??) either, so I am around or in the area a fair amount...

I think you will love the "slip form" methods (aka light cobb) the more you learn about them...In the interim, I would look at switching over to mineral wools...It is a great insulation type in general... and has been around for along time...With a well established (positive) track record...

Regards,

j

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
I save the boring chips from my boring machine for use in light clay woodchip infill. I have a junk car full of garbage bags of them and a few stuffed in the corner of the shop. I also set aside all cedar slabs for chipping for just in case. It needs to be timed right, not something you will want to start in late summer, early spring is the best so it can dry all summer long.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 143
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 143
I do make lots of shavings and chips in a year. Last year I took 3 big manure spreader loads out of the shop. Timbeal, do you do the light clay infill for customers or just for your own purposes?

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,882
I'm hoarding for my own purposes at this point. I don't collect all chips, such as choppings from the axe or chisel work, just the half circles from the boring machine. Amazing how many of these chips come out of a mortice.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.209s Queries: 24 (0.180s) Memory: 3.0028 MB (Peak: 3.5654 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:40:54 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS