Dave...I agree completely that a "tapered peg" would be an inclined plane...Nevertheless...that is not what 99.9% of the "drawbore" pegged/trunneled joints are in Western timber framing...as the peg/trunnel does not possess and inclined plane for its entire length...

I don't think I (et al) are "over thinking" anything and more curious on accurate nomenclature (in English) for how this joint functions...That was the only goal, perhaps of this short section of the discussion...

Pegs/trunnel are not 'wedges' by any definition of the word or mechanical process...because...the "taper" does not run the length of the peg...ergo...there is no "wedging action of an inclined plane"...except, of course, in only a fraction of the overall length...

Further, there are round and square..."tapered pegs"...or..."pinned joints." These are indeed "wedged pins" but they are neither common nor found in Western framing (that I know of??) and only found in Japanese and other Asian joinery systems...

I don't believe (for the most part) that this is a very confusing concept or description at all? Other than defining more succinctly what other "mechanical process" is taking place in securing a "drawborn" joint.

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 07/18/16 10:59 PM.