Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
A
ATC
Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Is there any reason why one should not have intermediate top plates (post to post), and then on the gable end, run the plate over the post, in order to have an overhang?

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 463
Some people might argue against any unnecessary breaks in the thermal envelope, I, however, am not one. My caution would be that a level exposed beam can become a transport route for water, so I would look for ways to profile the underside of the beam to provide drip relief.

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
A
ATC
Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks for the response.

It's not a residential structure, just a carport basically, with board siding, for storing equipment.

It's interesting, but none of my books on timber-framing, and very little info online, addresses a situation like this. I know that a scarf in a continuous top plate is probably the most common, but I'm sure someone, somewhere, built with intermediate plates and an overhang. eek


Thanks for the help.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 235
I do this on every frame I build. At least 16 to 24 inches out.


Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.178s Queries: 23 (0.146s) Memory: 2.9783 MB (Peak: 3.5623 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 23:11:11 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS