Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34129 03/12/17 11:39 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Since I'm getting a fine broadaxe out of Austria ready for use, upgrading the one I've been using up till now, I will show, in the first instance, some of the initial readying in the process.


https://vimeo.com/207995022

Last edited by D Wagstaff; 03/12/17 11:44 AM.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Some initial impressions after re-forming the edge and some time grinding the back-side at the lapping plate. Still much work left before it's ready for swinging. This one of course a lefty.

Last edited by D Wagstaff; 03/16/17 08:27 PM.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
I did not want to just leave that hanging so here is the axe as it is now in refurbished condition.



the cutting edge reground all around and it is fitted with a new handle of holly wood in the tradition of the old French woodworkers.


With its protective sheathe.


Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
I was unhappy with the handle pictured above so I cut it off and replaced it with an elm wood handle with better geometry.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
Very nice!


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.203s Queries: 25 (0.172s) Memory: 2.9851 MB (Peak: 3.5654 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 05:36:40 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS