Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34160 05/01/17 02:06 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
This seems to me a way of notching to use when the line is far in from the outside, maybe novel, maybe underexposed, I saw emanating from the Alps off of some image material. Here I am giving it a go in the flesh. Two notches cut in the vertical way, side-by-side till half the distance in to the line leaving a diamond shape in between if we imagine a single point on the line we want to reach. With the 3rd notching that center diamond is taken out to create a single deep notch from the three.
Attachments
P4210294.jpg (171.88 KB, 389 downloads)

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
https://vimeo.com/215627334

Notice the sticking? Fresh oak. I hate it.

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
How are you grinding these? I'm off next week to Romania for a fully hewn building project in oak and am planning to bring my bundaxt to give this a try. Is it a fairly acute flat angle or more robust? Would love a picture.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 273
Hi Will, I'm glad to help out if I can. You understand that this grind is nothing more than a personal preference and not a rule by any means, at least as far as I see it.
Here is an old but unused bandhacke so the grind is as it was from the smid

Sorry for the angle but believe me when I say it's symmetrical on this one.

Here is one that has seen plenty of use but that I have not modified in any way.
Again the angle is not ideal but shows the grind is not symmetric but more or less equally convex on both bevels. I account for this as a result of incidental hand sharpening rather that any specific intent.

Now for serious matters. Here is the one I always feel inclined to use or that I always go back to in the end with its custom grind.
The bevels are a bit more thinned down in comparison to the first and of course there is the obvious asymmetry with one bevel more or less flattened out.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 306
I should add to that, I am a lefty - in both senses.


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.212s Queries: 26 (0.191s) Memory: 2.9867 MB (Peak: 3.5655 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:43:37 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS