Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Would there be any issues if I were to use white oak as posts and hickory or elm as beams and joists? I mean as far as the shrinking rates, checking, etc?
Nate

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
No, there's no issue. They may shrink at a different rate, but two timbers of the same species may shrink and check differently as well. I've found hickory to check a lot, to the point where I've had to re-cut the pieces. I don't have experience with elm, but I imagine that it could be hard to work with the interlocking grain.

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Did they check too much before or after putting the pieces all together? And, what were you using the hickory for?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 305
In that case, they were naturally curved hickory braces, and they split in half before the raising. So they were relatively thin and small. On other larger pieces I've used (8x8 & 8x10 I think), they mostly checked after raising. If you've got the wood, then I'd go for it.


Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.259s Queries: 23 (0.229s) Memory: 2.9790 MB (Peak: 3.5643 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 04:49:00 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS